Hollow Frog Weight Replacement

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hollow Frog Weight Replacement

Post by jrows777 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:42 pm

Does anyone know how to replace the weight in a Snag Proof hollow frog without damaging the frog? Any help would be appreciated. I live in New Hampshire and we can't fish with any lead under an ounce so I have to replace the lead weight with steel or brass.
jrows777

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hollow Frog Weight Replacement

Post by skip77 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:15 pm

not sure i understand that law since 1oz and bigger exposes more lead surface to the water etc. but perhaps you can consider the following brother:
1. remove lead wt and apply small piece of waterproof electrical tape over the hole in belly
2. weigh the wt in gms for a more accurate wt.
3. get a heavy duty bicycle tube patch and trim it to fit around the hook if necessary - trim it so that the bigger part of the patch remaining covers the belly where orig wt was located
4. weigh the trimmed patch in gms and plan to add a penny or dime possibly to match original lead wt with patch + coin or whatever wt you find
5. apply the patch cement to the belly of lure, add your coin or wt and then the match
6. tape patch with a good duct tape etc or a clamp with thin wood block to squash patch flat during cure.

I wouldn't worry one bit about the patch color making the frog look ugly - trust me, the fish wont care. I have done this before to my koppers live target frog and created the first Frankenfrog - it still works today! best wishes J - get em brother!

below is a video from 2011 showing my Frankenfrog
skip77

View user profile http://www.clatterbrat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jrows777 on Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:32 pm

Thanks for the info Skip. This particular frog has a cavity that the weight sits in. Luckily it came out fairly easy with no damage and I was able to fit a size 4 tin split shot to replace the lead weight. I'll definitely use your method on the other frogs.

The "lead free law" was passed to protect the waterfoul. Same thing with outlawing lead shot for duck/goose hunting but for fishing lures and sinkers. Biologists found some small lead head jigs and other lead fishing tackle in loons and other wildlife. I agree with it but it's a pain in the ass having to replace all the tackle.
jrows777

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigMike315 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:00 pm

just a heads up its only jigheads and sinkers, not all lures. heres a link from the state website, http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/fishing/get-the-lead-out.html
anyways I think anti lead laws are stupid, its ok to have brass, steel, tungsten or others on the river/lake bottom but not lead?

BigMike315

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/BigMike315Fishing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top